Thursday, September 16, 2010

It’s Just a Matter of Time…

My ezine article this week is all about time and how we make the choice to either let time define us or let us define time. As I working out this morning, I realized time is more than just something that we can either define or let it define us. Our perception of time really resides in whatever we are doing at a given moment. This thought occurred to me as I was told to go "all out" on a treadmill for just a mere two minutes but those two minutes dragged on with such a heaviness. I'd look at the clock thinking surely I must be done only to realize 30 seconds had passed by. Take that same two minute interval and apply it to something you love to do and it will fly by in a blink of an eye. So I found myself asking, "What is time?" When we say we don't have enough time, what are we really saying?

As a society, we've become so focused on time, scheduling our lives around it, constantly feeling like it's something we can catch if we just run fast enough. The Bible repeatedly tells us to not worry about tomorrow or fret over yesterday but to focus on the now. The now or the present moment is truly all we have. Is time then just that, the present moment and we've gotten caught up in labeling it and assigning it more power than need be? Rather than getting absorbed in the passing of minutes on a clock, what if we were to totally absorb ourselves in the moment, focusing our energy on experiencing everything that moment has to offer us? What if we could block out the thoughts of what we need to do later or feelings or hurt and regret for something we did in the past? Where did your last big inspiration or dream come from? It was probably in a place where you relaxed and allowed yourself to be lost in the moment. You blocked out everything else and just allowed yourself to totally be at one with the moment. Eckhart Tolle talks about the power of now in his book titled the same, The Power of Now. He encourages us to experience life through all our senses focusing on the present moment for that is where you truly connect with the divine source. As he writes, "The present moment is inseparable from life, so you are really deciding what kind a relationship you want to have with life." I now know why the Bible contains so many verses about living in the moment. God knows this is not our nature and He wants nothing more than for us to "get it". For in His all-knowing wisdom, that is where we can find Him, connect with Him and experience true inner peace and fulfill our life's purpose.

"I acquaint myself with Him and I am at peace; by that good shall come to me."- Job 22:21

No comments:

Post a Comment