Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Reminder from Toby


Our dog Toby reminded me this week to slow down and begin each day with a spirit of love and thanksgiving. Toby is our one-year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who is full of endless energy and always ready to play, with a toy in his mouth and tail wagging hard. He has these eyes that truly melt your heart as well - one look and you're done! His eyes convey nothing but pure love and devotion.

Toby has started this routine every morning now that requires me to stop and "show him some love" before we start our day. I'll open up his crate and call him for a walk but he will not come downstairs until we've said a "proper" good morning filled with lots of hugs, licks and "I love you's". I think he sensed I was moving too quick and not taking time for the things that really matter.

I've found the lessons of life often come to us disguised in our everyday activities and they remain hidden unless we're open to what truly is around us. Toby reminded me to take the time to greet each day with gratitude and love. It's so easy to just jump out of bed and begin full steam ahead into our daily routine. But that is not what God asks of us. I found this quote from Mother Teresa that sums it up so well, "There is more hunger for love and appreciation in this world than for bread." We need to take a few moments each morning to express our gratitude and love for all the blessings in our life and let those whom we care about know how much we appreciate them. When we do, our days begin on much more positive and peaceful note.



"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." – Matthew 6:33


No comments:

Post a Comment