Friday, March 25, 2011

It’s Not About Doing, It’s About Creating

I've been feeling somewhat disconnected in my design work these past couple of weeks, almost like I'm going through the motions but not sensing that creative energy and flow. With so many projects on the plate right now, I have not allowed myself the time or thought to sort through those feelings and just keep pressing forward to get it all done. I've allowed deadlines to become the driver.

It wasn't until last night as I sat quietly listening to a concert my 5th grade and 8th grade daughters were participating in that I got that nudge to remind me where I've strayed.

The concert included students from 5th grade all the way up through high school and to see the talent and passion in these young students was truly inspiring. Especially the high school students; their joy and passion for music shined as they performed. I watched one girl in particular close her eyes as she pulled the bow across her violin and I could see how deeply lost she was in the moment and I could feel her passion for the music she was creating all the way up in the bleachers. It was then I realized, it's not about doing, it's about creating.

We all "do" each and every day but how often do we stop to find inspiration and create? How often do we allow ourselves to get lost in what we love to do? We forget that we shine the most when we are living our passion and creating our lives from that passion. When we stray from that, we feel disconnected and life becomes hard and challenging. We find ourselves going through the motions, pushing for results versus letter our passion guide us to the answer.

It's amazing how God will place certain people or moments into our path to help get us back on course. I love that my reminder came in such a beautiful and meaningful way through the presence of a young violinist.

No comments:

Post a Comment